New to Aged Care?

Is your loved one new to the residential aged care system in Australia?

We know the aged care system can feel complex and overwhelming, especially if you are dealing with an urgent situation.

If the person requiring care is new to the aged care system, the first step is to obtain an Aged Care Assessment from the Australian Government’s My Aged Care service. If your loved one is in hospital, they may already have this assessment, so please check with hospital staff.

An Aged Care Assessment is required for both respite care and permanent care. Asset and Income Testing is also required for permanent care. Assessments can be upgraded, if there has been a change in health conditions.

If you don’t have these assessments, and you don’t have a My Aged Care client record, organising those is your first step. You can do this by calling My Aged Care on 1800 200 422.

How the cost of aged care is determined

The cost of aged care varies according to each person’s circumstances. From July 2014, all residents entering Australian Government approved facilities as Permanent Residents must undergo compulsory Assets and Income Assessment.

You can start the assets and income assessment process by phoning 1800 200 422.

ALL permanent and respite care residents pay a daily fee which is set by the Australian Government and adjusted twice yearly in accordance with CPI pension increases.

Depending on the outcome of the compulsory Assets and Income Assessment, some permanent residents may be asked for a Payment or Contribution. This may be a Refundable Accommodation Deposit (RAD), Daily Payment (DAP) or Daily Contribution (DAC). Some permanent residents may be asked to pay a Means Tested Fee.

The Department of Human Services will advise each person in writing of their specific requirements.

Ready to enquire about living with Clanwilliam?

If you are ready to enquire about a place at a Clanwilliam Aged Care home, then please complete our enquiry form so we can help you more quickly.